North Bennet Street School; Boston, Massachusetts; 2007-2009
Certificate in Bookbinding, 2009
Simmons College, Graduate School of Library and Information Science; Boston, Massachusetts; 2004–2006
M.L.S. Preservation Management, August 2006
Eugene Lang College, New School University; New York, New York; 2000–2003
B.A. Non-Fiction Writing and Journalism, 2003
Writing Fellow/Teaching Assistant to Dr. Neil Gordon, Fall 2002 and Spring 2003
Marlboro College; Marlboro, Vermont; 1999–2000
White Sparrow Bindery; Iowa City, Iowa; December 2008 – Present
Head of Binding and Conservation
- Performs conservation treatments on a variety of privately owned materials including early printed books, vellum manuscripts, and family documents.
- Maintains written and photographic documentation for all treatments.
- Creates one of a kind custom bindings, including fine bindings, wedding albums, and miniature books.
- Teaches workshops on various bookbinding techniques.
- Maintains all financial record keeping and performs all accounting duties.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Hayden Library, Curation and Preservation Services; Cambridge, Massachusetts; January 2010 – December 2012
Vail Conservation Technician
- Established collection level treatment protocols for the Vail Collection, a collection of approximately 20,000 rare books on electricity and animal magnetism.
- Developed and managed project workflows.
- Performed basic cleaning and stabilization treatment to prepare items for cataloging and long-term storage.
- Performed full treatments of selected items, which include written and photographic documentation.
- Kept statistics for all items treated.
- Conducted an item level survey for the collection’s rarest items.
- Trained and supervised support staff and project interns.
- Drafted new guidelines for digital photographic documentation.
- Assisted with exhibit preparation, including documentation, conservation, and the fabrication of custom book supports.
- Participated in disaster recovery efforts.
- Participated in education and outreach efforts, including leading in-house practicum sessions, and workshops open to the MIT community.
Iowa State University, Parks Library; Ames, Iowa; June – July 2009
Lennox Foundation Preservation Intern
- Created a customized survey tool and database using Microsoft Access 2007.
- Conducted and item by item survey of oversized materials located in the Special Collection vault.
- Proposed and carried out conservation treatments under the guidance of the Conservator, including humidification and flattening of vellum bindings, washing and deacidification, paper repair, encapsulation, construction of custom enclosures, humidification and flattening of rolled photographs, and rebinding of special collection materials.
- Created of written and photographic documentation for conservation treatments.
- Researched the binding history of the University’s oldest volume.
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Archives & Records Preservation; Boston, Massachusetts; June 2008
- Worked under supervision of the Conservator, repairing early court records from the 1750’s – 1820’s.
- Tasks included: dry cleaning, washing, minor paper repair, full linings with Japanese tissue, and leaf casting.
North Bennet Street School; Boston, Massachusetts; December 2007 - Present
- Worked to create a searchable catalog of the Bookbinding Department’s extensive library using commercially available software.
- Developed circulation policies and procedures.
- Made various enclosures for fragile books, including clamshell boxes, four flap wrappers, and mylar sleeves.
Wheelock College Library; Boston, Massachusetts; September 2007 – December 2007
- Provided reference and research assistance to a community focused on early childhood education and social work.
- Processed inter-library loan requests for users within the Fenway Library Consortium (FLO).
- Performed document delivery services for faculty.
- Other duties included: Closing down the library in the evenings, keeping statistics, and providing after hours technical support.
Babson College, Horn Library; Wellesley, Massachusetts; October 2005 – August 2007
Information Services Coordinator
- Basic job duties included the training and supervision of student workers, assisting patrons with the use of equipment, providing ready reference assistance, opening and closing the library, issuing library cards, receiving fines, and keeping statistics.
- Functioned as the back-up for the Interlibrary Loan and Reserves Librarians and maintain a working knowledge of Iliad, Odyssey, and Ariel, as well as SIRSI and Blackboard.
- Served on the planning committee for the Grace K. Babson collection of the Works of Sir Isaac Newton.
- Helped create a website for Babson’s online collection of Sir Isaac Newton’s books and manuscripts.
- Other activities included weeding, maintaining portions of the library website, and basic book repair.
Harvard University, Widener Library, Preservation and Imaging Services; Cambridge, Massachusetts;
August 2006 – January 2007
- Supervised the East Lab in the Manager’s absence.
- Participated in the training and supervision of student workers.
- Constructed a variety of enclosures including phase boxes, media cases, four flap wrappers, board sets, envelopes, pockets, and Co-Libri wrappers.
- Performed minor paper repair, spine corrections, labeling, Acme Bindery preparation, and photocopy replacement.
- Aided in disaster recovery efforts.
Harvard University Graduate School of Design: Conservation Lab, Frances Loeb Library; Cambridge,
Massachusetts; June – July 2006
- Worked under the supervision of the Conservator to perform basic repairs on books in the circulating and special collections.
- Tasks included flat paper repair, guarding of sections, sewing on endpapers with a cloth hinge, re-sewing text blocks with link stitch, sewing on tapes, cloth case construction and re-backs.
Boston Public Library: Rare Books and Manuscripts Department; Boston, Massachusetts; Spring 2005
- Processed a variety of materials including books and manuscripts, ranging in age and subject.
- Used AACR2 and Library of Congress standards to catalog and assign subject headings to materials.
- Researched 545 field (Biographical or Historical note).
- Used MARC to create preliminary bibliographic records, which were then used by then formally added to the system by the cataloger.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/CONTINUING EDUCATION
Harvard Extension School; Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Museum Exhibition Content Development w/ Shelley N. Monaghan (Spring 2010)
- Preservation and Conservation of Museum Collections w/ Vicky L. Kruckeberg (Spring 2007)
International Academic Projects; London, England
- Chemistry for Conservators w/ C.V. Horie and Dr. D. Kenyon (Fall 2008)
North Bennet Street School; Boston, Massachusetts
- Tips and Tricks for Book and Paper Conservation w/ Renate Mesmer (August 12th-16th, 2010)
- Rebacking of Cloth, Paper, and Leather Books w/ Todd Pattison (March 20th-21st, 2010)
- Small Business Course w/ Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (Spring 2009)
- Brass Tool Making w/ Tom Conroy (March 14-15th, 2009)
- 18th Century French Binding w/ Jeff Peachey (July 21st-24th, 2009)
- Girdle Books w/ Stacie Dolin (July 9th-11th, 2008) Served as teaching assistant to this class.
- Crossed Structure Bookbinding w/ Heather Hamilton (July 24th-26th, 2006)
Northeast Document Conservation Center; Andover, Massachusetts
- Intermediate Book Repair Workshop w/ Lori Foley (May 11th, 2006)
Rare Book School; Charlottesville, Virginia
- Introduction to the History of Illustration w/ Erin C. Blake (August 3–7, 2009)
Simmons College Graduate School of Library and Information Science; Boston, Massachusetts
- Introduction to the History of Illustration w/ Erin C. Blake (August 3–7, 2009)
- Learning About Artists’ Books w/ Sarah Smith (October 14th, 2006)
SOLINET; Atlanta, Georgia
- Demystifying Mold [Live, Online] (August 26-28th, 2008)
- Introduction to Grants for Preservation [Live, Online] (August 31st, 2006)
- Metadata for Digitization and Preservation [Live, Online] (August 14th, 2006)
American Institute for Conservation of Historic & Artistic Works; Washington, D.C.
- Book & Paper Specialty Group
- Emerging Conservators Network
Designer Bookbinders; London, England
Guild of Book Workers; New York, New York
Vice President, October 2013 - Present
- Served on the local arrangements committee for Standards of Excellence Seminar 2011
- Administrator for the GBW Facebook group
- Serve on the Welcome Committee, whose goal is to increase new membership and greater involvement among new members
- Standards of Excellence scholarship award, 2008
- Midwest, New England and Delaware Valley Chapter Member
Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium; Iowa City, IA
Midwest Regional Conservation Guild
Binding included in exhibition catalog Binding featured on exhibit postcard. One of 25 selected for the print edition, binding featured on cover.